Running a Workforce Campaign
“We need to help students here succeed, and we need to make sure that the students who do succeed stick around to help the city rebuild,” said Mark Reuss, president of General Motors North America and a General Motors Foundation board member. To achieve that goal, the GM Foundation donated $27.1 million in 2010 to support the “Networks of Excellence” initiative that is managed by the United Way for Southeastern Michigan.
Thanks to the GM Foundation, seven metro Detroit high schools will receive $5 million a year for five years to ensure students develop the skills they need to qualify for jobs in today’s rapidly evolving marketplace. The GM Foundation also is committing $425,000 annually for five years to establish early childhood learning centers that teach parents and caregivers how to create a literacy-rich environment, laying the foundation for a lifetime of learning. It is a two-pronged approach, preparing tomorrow’s workers, and the next decade’s, for steady and stable growth in our region.
GM Foundation’s gift builds on the successful launch in 2008 of a network of five high schools that had struggled with absenteeism and retention problems. By providing more personalized instruction in smaller classes, the turnaround schools reduced chronic absences from 63 percent to 83 percent within the first year.
The goals are to graduate 80 percent of the students in each of the Network of Excellence schools by 2018 and have 80 percent of children entering kindergarten ready to succeed by 2018.
“The students we are trying to reach are the future,” Reuss said. “We talk a lot these days about doing the right thing. It has to be more than talk. It has to be tangible, and it has to be done with the right partners to get results.”
Participating in the United Way workforce campaign gives your organization and your employees the opportunity to learn about our community’s needs and give them a convenient opportunity to get involved. You can join with other businesses across the Wayne, Oakland and Macomb county region to help improve your community. We partner with a wide variety of businesses in many different industries and recognize individuals and organizations that run excellent campaigns.
Why Run a Workplace Campaign with United Way?
Our goal is to help people become successful and self-sufficient. Like your business, United Way for Southeastern Michigan is about partnerships, setting goals, efficiency, and accountability. Here's why a partnership with United Way makes sense:
- It is a sound investment for your company. United Way's knowledge of the community ensures contributions are channeled to where the needs are greatest.
- United Way can help you develop a customized fundraising campaign that aligns with the values and interests of your organization and your employees. We also offer training and support in building your fund-raising team and running a great campaign.
- Convenience and affordability in giving options such as payroll deduction and electronic pledging.
- We process all donations, eliminating the need for a third party pledge processor that lacks the ability to bring year-round, community-wide recognition to you and your employees.
- When your employees donate to United Way, 100% of their gift will be invested to help those in need.
- Strategic giving -- opportunities for direct contributions by area of interest such as hunger, education or pathways out of poverty.
- Publications, eUpdates and educational forums showcase how your employees help create change in our community.
- Special membership benefits for donors who give $1,000 and more annually.
Benefits to Your Company and Employees
A healthy community attracts new business, leads to a stronger labor pool, and improves the quality of life for everyone. Partnering is also a way to:
- Meet your company's philanthropic goals – we make it easy for your company to get involved and achieve your philanthropic or community based goals.
- Build trust and increase goodwill among customers by giving back to the community.
- Energize your employees. Focusing your organization toward a common goal helps build morale and teamwork.
- Offer a simple, convenient, and efficient way for your employees to support the community and causes they believe in.
- Connect employees to their community -- United Way matches employee volunteer teams with great opportunities to help our community.
- Provide information about services, enabling employees to use them for themselves, friends and families.
Get Started Now
Every workforce campaign is different and can be shaped around your organization’s culture. Setting up and running a campaign is simple and we can help you every step of the way.
Most campaigns are easily set up so that employees can contribute through payroll deductions or easy-to-use online tools. Many companies double their impact by matching their employees’ giving dollar for dollar.
To find out if your company has a United Way for Southeastern Michigan workplace campaign, please contact your human resources department. If they don’t, please contact us to find out how to get started.